Monday, March 05, 2007

My Big Fat Celebrity Sighting

Finally! After years of hoping, waiting, yearning for my own celebrity sighting, listening to others' stories of seeing Prince (Adele), Victor Meldrew (Adele & Dave), Margaret Thatcher (my grandfather), Ronan Keating (my sister), I knew that my chance had come.

LAX airport on Oscar Sunday!

Surely there would be celebrities agogo, obligatory prada hand bag, skinny leg jeans, large sun glasses in tow. Here would be my chance to rub shoulders with the rich and famous.

Pah.

It was a celebrity desert.

I looked high, I looked low, I peered suspiciously at people in the security lines (Adele's trick) but no, there were no celebrity sightings in LAX for me.

However. All was not lost.

For 13 hours earlier, in Auckland airport, my celebrity train pulled into the station. (drumroll)

Brace yourselves.

I'm not sure you're ready for this.

Further bracing possibly needed.

Yes, I not only saw one celebrity but a brace of them! (Triumphant pause)

Or is it a pack of them? Or a gaggle? Or a herd?

Well, whatever.

Celebrities agogo were mine! Louis Vuitton bag clutching. Gucci boutique bags toting. Long hair waving. Large oiled muscles rippling. Black leather straining. Tattoos abounding....

Erm, yes. You see, I had bumped into the WWE Smackdown New Zealand Tour.

I think if I had any knowledge, any knowledge at all about wrestling, I might have been excited. However, I have none, so was therefore unable to be truly excited. But, these are famous people. Maybe not to me, but to the little boy in the store who took ten photos of Rob Van Dam, and who will discover when he develops them that I am in the background of every single one of them, clutching onto a scarf stand so that I was not knocked over, I think he thinks he's famous.

So, there it is. My celebrity sighting. I give you the WWE.

http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/newzealand/2007tour/

I saw these people. Really I did.

So tell me, who else is a celebrity spotter?

5 comments:

sc@vp said...

dude. i have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

it was all 'celebrity sighting ... oscars ... gucci ... blah blah blah ... tattoos' to me.

Anonymous said...

Your favourite wrestler must be the Rock....because (in his own words) 'He likes PIE!!!' My favourite is John Cena.
Wow, really showin' myself up now.
As you know, I spent many long evenings hanging round the Bath Theatre Royal with my dad so I have spotted a few. Paul McCartney, David Essex, Alan Shearer, some guy called Bono.....and do you remember the time Peter Andre came to our school and Mr Rooke had to tell him off for exposing his pecs?? Tee hee hee x

A.J. said...

Hmmm... celebrities I have sighted.... Mostly car racing guys really..... AJ foyt, the Andretti's, Paul Newman etc.

When I was 12 or 13 we met Tom Cruise.....

Henna said...

I HAVE to admit I´m a foreigner (to you)(to me I´m totally into the main place of this planet). I read this twise and didn´t get it. What are you talking about??!? I don´t know much about blogging but by some kind of divine leading I found your blog. Yes, it has to be you. It is you!

Anonymous said...

I saw Trevor Nelson (or Radio 1 fame) at our hotel in London - does that count? He's not a wrestler however (he'd get snapped like a toothpick).